We are seeking a Data Center HVAC/R Technician at the advanced SME level to join our new critical environment operations & maintenance team in a data center in Warrenton, VA. This position is responsible for performing at the subject matter expert level with respect to responding to work orders, advanced troubleshooting, and providing preventative maintenance on critical facilities and utilities systems and equipment, including but not limited to mechanical equipment, motors, pumps, plumbing and piping, drains, and related equipment.
The POC performs in a lead role and is intimately involved in day-to-day activities with the customer, management and technicians. Responsible for providing lead coverage when management is not available or not on site; coordinating activities with customer and technicians; conducting startup and pass down meetings; providing work direction; coordinating daily workload; ensuring work assignments are completed accurately and timely; resolving issues as they arise; and informing management of production problems and personnel issues.
Working under minimal supervision, this position is responsible for operating and maintaining HVAC equipment and systems for a Data Center. Responds and provides service and feedback to the customer on temperature, humidity, and pressurization issues. Utilizes the Building Automation System to track, adjust, and trend. May routinely provide work direction to other technicians, coordinate/oversee subcontractor activities, and assist specialized craft technicians in other facility maintenance trades and services.
The HVAC/R Technician must have the ability to identify and correct any safety-related issues and perform independent equipment evaluations to identify potential equipment failures.
These positions typically works 12-hour shifts from 6:00am – 6:00pm OR 6:00pm – 6:00am; shifts alternate every 2 months.; shifts alternate every 3 months. Candidates must be able to flex hours and cover for team members and special projects to meet critical business demands; to include overtime and holidays and weekends.
- Understands and complies with all Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H) programs and procedures.
- Performs at level of HVAC Subject Matter Expert with demonstrated experience in pneumatic, electric, and electronic control systems.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of air flow dynamics including air handlers, exhaust, and steam humidifiers with the ability to independently diagnose and troubleshoot and provide direction on critical infrastructure issues.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of energy management systems (building automation systems) and has the ability to program, troubleshoot, schedule, and trend data.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs heating and ventilation equipment, pumps, fans, air dryers, compressors, and other mechanical equipment as necessary.
- Performs preventive maintenance on HVAC controls and operating systems as scheduled in the CMMS.
- Demonstrates ability to lead maintenance teams with task assignments, oversight, quality inspections, training, and work order management.
- Executes the leadership characteristics and critical thinking skills necessary to coach team members through problem solving and troubleshooting steps.
- Creates and modifies site operations procedures for equipment and recommends measures to improve maintenance methods and equipment performance/reliability.
- Utilizes strong mechanical and electrical skills in order to complete assignments.
- Provides excellent customer service and feedback on all work orders while ensuring compliance to codes, regulations, industry standards, and company policies.
- Operates various measuring, diagnostic and testing instruments to help provide energy efficiency solutions.
- Operates equipment such as hand tools, computers, and diagnostic hardware to perform work.
- Maintains a strict schedule in order to be successful in the assignment, while remaining flexible in the day-to-day activities for the benefit of the customer.
- Provides instruction, mentors and trains less skilled technicians as needed. Effectively communicates with the site management team and the customer to understand requirements, solve electrical problems, and provide solutions to critical infrastructure problems
- Ability to identify and correct any safety-related issues and perform independent equipment evaluations to identify potential equipment failures. General Maintenance of equipment will also be required.
- Other duties as assigned by Management or Lead.
We run our own crews of Production Maintenance Techs, CNC Service Techs, Automation Techs, Industrial Electricians, Maintenance Mechanics, Industrial HVAC Techs, Planner/ Schedulers, Supervisors and safety professionals inside our customers’ facilities to keep their infrastructure operating smoothly.
- High School diploma or demonstrated equivalent.
- Eight years of experience as an HVAC/R maintenance technician in a data center, heavy industrial, or pharmaceutical / biomedical environment, or demonstrated equivalent combination of education and experience.
- EPA Universal certification.
- Supervisory experience
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must have an active US Government Top Secret Security/Sensitive compartmented Information (TS/SCI) Clearance and Polygraph (TS/SCI + Poly) Clearance
- Ability to obtain a security access badge at our client’s location.
- This position may require overtime, various shifts, weekends, holidays and alternative work schedules.
- Some physical requirements include:
- Regularly lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Regularly climb various ladders and steps.
- Repetitive motions: bend, stoop, squat, kneel, stretch, reach, wrist movement
- Walk extensively throughout the plant during shift.
- Special Requirements: Wear steel toe safety shoes, safety glasses, gloves, hard hats and other Personal Protective Equipment as needed. Cope with demands (stressors) that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable levels of performance and overall contribution are maintained.
- Knowledge of data center infrastructure.
- Associate degree in HVAC, industrial mechanical, industrial electrical, or a related skilled trade.
- Formal training and experience in building automation systems.
- Experience working in a Computerized Maintenance Management (CMMS) environment.
- Experience working with centrifugal chillers, air handling units, cooling towers, air compressors, air dryers, heat exchangers, exhaust systems, VAV pneumatic controls and energy management systems (building automation control systems).
- Experience reading dials, monitoring equipment, and entering data into computer software.
- Proficiency with MS Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point).
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.