Seeking a Data Center Electrician at the advanced SME level to join our new critical environment operations & maintenance teams in Laurel, MD. Typical work hours are 12-hour shifts from 7:00am – 7:00pm OR 7:00pm – 7:00am; shifts alternate every 3 months. Candidates must be able to flex hours and cover for team members and special projects to meet critical business demand.
This position is responsible for performing at the advanced subject matter expert level with respect to estimating, planning, and performing preventive maintenance, responding to work orders, troubleshooting, and providing emergency repairs on critical electrical equipment and systems.
Must have the ability to diagnose and troubleshoot all facility equipment and systems including normal and emergency power systems; buss power distribution systems, duct plugs, conduit, and wiring; pneumatic, hydraulic, and electrical systems; switch gears, motors, disconnects and breakers, AC and variable frequency drives, low voltage controls, PLCs, cranes and hoists, lighting systems, building automation systems, motor control centers up to and including 480V, etc.
Strong electrical / mechanical skills are required for repairs of HVAC units, motors, control circuits, VFDs, PLCs, and CO Monitoring. The ability to safely work with 3 phase 480v power is a must and includes the ability to troubleshoot and diagnose electrical issues in a critical environment.
Provides instruction, mentors and trains less skilled technicians as needed. Effectively communicates with the site management team and the customer to understand requirements, solve electrical problems, and provide solutions to critical infrastructure problems.
The Data Center Electrician 5 must have the ability to identify and correct any safety-related issues and perform independent equipment evaluations to identify potential equipment failures. General Maintenance of equipment will also be required.
- Troubleshoots and locates electrical problems in a variety of electrical equipment, controls and electrical systems.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs electrical equipment up to 480v 3 phase and facility systems such as RTU, doors, lighting, VFDs and motors circuits.
- Assures work conforms to NEC guidelines.
- Reads and understands schematics, diagrams, and specifications.
- Develops and monitors work assignments for other technicians and coaches as appropriate.
- Creates and modifies site operations procedures for equipment and recommends facilities reliability improvements.
- Utilizes the building automation system to track building conditions and the operation of facilities equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance, predictive maintenance, and repairs on electrical systems and equipment, instruments, control systems, drives, and lighting systems as scheduled in the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
- Assists lower level technicians with assignments as needed and provides appropriate coaching
- Responds and provides service and feedback to the customer on all work orders while assuring compliance to codes, regulations and industry standards.
- Recommends measures to improve maintenance methods and equipment performance.
- Safely performs functions of the position including following proper safety guidelines such as job hazard analysis, lockout/tagout, and wearing PPE as required.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as hand tools, laptop computers and diagnostic hardware to perform work.
- Performs all assignments with the end goal of high level of customer satisfaction
- Flexible in the day-to-day activities and scheduling for the benefit of the customer.
- Complies with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- Ensures excellent customer service and safe work environment
- Other duties as assigned by Management and Lead.
- High School diploma or demonstrated equivalent.
- Six years of experience as a maintenance electrician in a data center, heavy industrial, or pharmaceutical / biomedical environment, or demonstrated equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be a US citizen, this position does not include sponsorship for United States work authorization
- Must have an active US Government Top Secret Security (TS) Clearance
- Ability to obtain a security access badge at our client’s location.
- Must be willing to work overtime, holidays, various shifts, weekends, and alternative work schedules.
- This position may require a valid Driver’s License
Physical/Special Requirements Include:
- Regularly lifting up to 50lbs
- Regularly climb various ladders and steps
- Repetitive motions and flexibility: bend, stoop, squat, kneel, stretch, reach, wrist movement
- Walk extensively throughout the plant during shift
- Requires the ability to differentiate colors pertaining to wire color-coding.
- Wear steel toe safety shoes, safety glasses, gloves, hard hats, and other Personal Protective Equipment as needed.
- Use of a Company/Client approved utility knife.
- Requires the ability to interact with all clients in a professional and friendly manner despite periods of stress
- Cope with demands (stressors) that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable levels of performance and overall contribution are maintained.
- Associate degree in an Industrial Electrical or related skilled trade program.
- Knowledge of data center infrastructure.
- Experience troubleshooting and repairing components up to 480V 3 phase, lighting, security related systems, electric motors and motor controls.
- Experience troubleshooting and diagnosing PLCs, and Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs).
- Experience maintaining cranes up to 75 ton capacity.
- Experience in troubleshooting 4-20mA circuits.
- Experience using Allen Bradley RS Logix Software.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.